Tuesday 16 September 2014

The Redemptive Names of God in Psalm 23


1. The Lord is my shepherd (Jehovah-Raha) ; I shall not want (Jehovah-Jireh).
2. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures (Jehovah-Shalom): he leadeth me beside the still waters (Jehovah-Raha).
3. He restoreth my soul (Jehovah-Rapha): he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake (Jehovah-Tsidkenu).
4. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil (Jehovah-Nissi) : for thou art with me (Jehovah Shammah) ; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me (Jehovah Raha).
5. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies (Jehovah Nissi): thou anointest my head with oil (Jehovah-Rapha); my cup runneth over (Jehovah-Jireh).
6. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

 
The Seven Redemptive Names of God
Jehovah-Shalom – the Lord is our Peace
Jehovah-Raha – the Lord is my Shepherd
Jehovah-Jireh – the Lord will provide
Jehovah-Nissi – the Lord our Banner or Victor
Jehovah-Tsidkenu – the Lord our Righteousness
Jehovah-Rapha – the Lord that healeth
Jehovah-Shammah – the Lord with us or is present

(These names are cited from F.F. Bosworth’s “Christ The Healer” pp 90-91
and from notes of C.I. Scofield, DD, biblical scholar.) 
Strong’s Concordance defines Jehovah-Elohim as Lord Gods (plural, or multi-faceted)
 
NOTE FROM THOMAS: 
I heard a pastor (I don't remember who) teaching on the radio and I caught a few sentences talking about the "redemptive names" of Jehovah and how if we fail to recognize them, they lose their potency to us, much like when we are asked by the Lord to wake up and pray. If we choose to ignore the request, eventually He will stop asking.
 
I researched my study Bible and found a listing of the "Seven Redemptive Names of Jehovah." I began to remind the Lord of His promise in Jeremiah 33:3* and to call unto Him by each name.  I was so very blessed by His presence.
 
Over the next several weeks, He led me to understand that we teach our children the 23 Psalm in order that they might know Him by these characteristics (names). The important thing to keep in mind is that in each case, the name is not who He is, it is His very essence. (When we call upon Jehovah Rapha, we are not calling on the God who heals or upon the healing God. We are calling upon the one near whom nothing is less that complete. As we get near to Him we become whole and healed, with nothing missing and nothing broken.)

My understanding is that our Redeemer IS each of those seven beings (the word beings does not begin to describe His essence). These seven facets (or names) are apart from all those other names we call Him.
 
The one I have the easiest time understanding is Jehovah Rapha. It's like the oxygen-rich environment we put a burn victim in. Our presence in it heals.  We don't have to do anything, just be in it's midst.  Picture Jehovah Shammah...His Word says "I will never leave you or forsake you."

*Jer 33:3, "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not."

Written by Thomas Morris

Posted by Kachi

No comments:

Post a Comment